Kimme Museum - "The Castle"

Photographic Museum Tour and Directions- click here

place mouse pointer over picture- no clicking The Kimme Museum, also called "The Castle", was designed by Luise Kimme and is built around the original workshop. This is where Luise Kimme lived and worked. It houses a collection of 100 life-size wooden sculptures, carved from oak trees which she roughed out in the German forest and then shipped to Tobago for completion. Bronze casts are made from the wooden originals.

(At left: photo of Luise taken by Ruwa Sabbagh on 1.12.2005. Please click on picture to see enlargement)

In the Museum there are 14-foot tall religious sculptures and reliefs, dancing couples and Nijinsky ballet dancers, early folklore characters and mythiological figures.Her sculptures capture the essence of the Tobago people, their beliefs, customs, folklore, dances as well as the nature surrounding her.Luise Kimme's main interest, however, is ancient sculpture and dance.



Architect Ekkehart Schwarz, (click on his name to see his photo) based in N.Y., did the structural drawings. He separated the Chapel from the Museum, then he continued the distance from the fence to the Museum, and changed direction after 4 feet or 122 cm. Brillant!

At Right the Court Yard

The inspiration for all the Gothic Points in the Sky came from Canaletto's (1697-1768 ) painting London and the Thames, showing all the steeples of Sir Christopher Wren's (1632-1723) churches, and St. Paul's Cathedral. Also from the palace of Count Santiago de la Laguna, Zacatecos, Mexico, and from Renaissance, Gothic, Greek, English architecture and Viollet-le-Duc's (1814-1879) Lectures on Architecture.

Everything was sculpted by hand, in cement, by two very creative and patient masons from the village of Moriah: Allister Bruce, now in Heaven, and Dusty Williams.

Allister was the most beautiful man Luise said she hade ever seen; he hads been hery imaginary model for sculpture and drawing for some time. The birds on the roof, carved from oak, were done by Torkler, the Wind Chimes by sculptor Anna Serrao, and everything was made reality by the eternally enthusiastic and energetic builder, Roger Duncan.

The first House
The first house with fretwork (1987 -97)


"Chapel" and Museum, 1993 - 97



to the top